While we drove through a tremendous amount of desolation in Kansas, we also visited some very nice little towns – and here is one of them: Peabody. On a lark Sandy turned left off of 50 because there was a sign celebrating Peabody’s historic downtown, and, in fact, Peabody did have a lovely downtown. One of the central themes of the trip was our search for downtown America, and the lack of such a place – usually caused by the evils of Wal-Marts and McDonalds on the edge of towns – always depressed Sandy. So, when we did find a bustling, or at least functioning, downtown, we were always happy. This clip also features a reference to William Allen White, who neither of us knew a lot about before we reached Emporia, but who then became a constant reference point.
- @Heelslibrarian Love it. 5 years ago
- @Heelslibrarian I was walking in downtown Montpelier the other day and a lunatic punched me in the arm. 5 years ago
- At Mother's Restaurant, preparing for debris po boy or black ham bisquit. 5 years ago
- Listening to a Gaelic Storm party with Steve Wehmeyer in the Boondock Saints Bar in New Orleans. Surreal. 5 years ago
- Shrimp Po Boy at the Royal Street Deli. I suppose that someone somewhere has problems. 5 years ago